New look website

Take a look at the beta version of our new look website. We’re keen to know what you think.

Take a look

Housing advice

Help if you own or rent privately

Adapting your home and the 'Staying Put' scheme

If you are a homeowner, council tenant or live in a shared ownership property and are finding it difficult to stay in your home as a result of deteriorating health or disability, you may be able to qualify for help from us to adapt your home.

Depending on your personal situation and what type of home you live in (either private or social housing), you may be able to have help in adapting your home.

The first step is to complete a self-referral form which you can get by contacting our Occupational Therapy service on 020 8770 5000 or by writing to:

Occupational Health
Sutton West Centre
Robin Hood Lane

Once you have completed your self-referral Occupational Therapy will assess your claim and either refer you to Sutton Housing Partnership (for social housing properties) or Sutton Staying Put (for private or shared ownership properties).

Disabled facilities grant

If you want to speak to us regarding a disability facility grant application, please contact Sutton Staying Put on 020 8409 7061 or write to:

Sutton Staying Put
24 Denmark Road

Having difficulty making mortgage or rent payments?

If you are finding it difficult to keep up your mortgage repayments or paying your rent and are in danger of being repossessed or evicted, the first thing you need to do is speak to you mortgage lender or landlord.

If you have tried this, and all other options, and still need further advice call us on 020 8770 5000.

Privately rented homes

Private rented houses, flats and bedsits, play an important role within Suttons housing market.

Many people rent these properties because buying a home is beyond their means and they do not necessarily qualify for affordable housing.

The properties are owned by private individuals, companies and organisations and rented out to professionals, the statutorily homeless and those on very low incomes.

Sutton council has a responsibility to ensure they are safe and fit in live in.

As part of this duty we have legal powers at our disposal to make sure both landlords and tenants behave in the correct manner so these standards are met.