Housing advice

Being evicted

If you find that your housing situation has changed, or will be changing soon and you need advice from us, the first thing you need to do is complete an online housing options form at Sutton HomeChoice.

Once completed, your personal action plan will show you what you need to do to resolve your housing issue, including giving you contact details of council departments or external partners.

Termination of Tenancies (Notices)

A termination of tenancy is when your landlord decides to evict you from the property. To do this, they must follow a legal process which starts with the serving of a valid 'Notice to Quit' (for people living in private rental properties) or a 'Notice Seeking Possession' (for social housing rental properties).

When the date on the notice is reached, your landlord can apply to court for a 'possession order' and then the execution of a Bailiffs Warrant. Note: A possession order is not a CCJ (County Court Judgement) that goes on your record and is designed to protect tenants from illegal eviction, and therefore does not count against you in the future.

If you are renting privately, there are two types of notice your landlord can serve:

  • a Section 21(Served where the landlord simply wants his property back)

  • a Section 8 (Served due to breach of contract, or other anti-social type of behaviour)

Here you can find out more about Section 21 and Section 8 notices

Harassment or Illegal Eviction

Landlords of privately rented properties are not permitted to evict you without a court order, unless you are prepared to leave the premises through mutual agreement. Additionally, landlords are not permitted to withdraw vital services to your premises, such as essential utilities (i.e. gas, electricity, water) in an attempt to make the property uninhabitable and so forcing you out of your home.

You are entitled to 'quiet enjoyment' of your rented home. This is a legal principle that establishes that tenants are entitled to reside in their properties free of undue harassment from their landlord.

The council has the power to prosecute your landlord where an infringement of your rights to 'quiet enjoyment' occurs. If your landlord is attempting to force you out of your property against your will, without following the correct procedure, you should seek independent legal advice immediately.

If you would like one of our personal advisers to help you by speaking to your landlord call us on 020 8770 5000.

Parental Eviction

If you are you 16 or 17 years old and there has been a breakdown in the relationship within a family so much that your parents have asked you to leave, the young person's accommodation officers can help you in a variety of ways.

Contact us on 020 8770 5000 if you are 16 or 17, and have been asked to leave your parent's property.

The first thing we try to do is to mediate between you and your parents to resolve the issues that have led to the breakdown of your relationship with them. In most cases, the best place for you to be living is in the family home until you have developed the skills necessary for independent living. 

If you are 18 or over, please complete the online Online Housing Options and follow the steps indicated in your action plan. 

Contact us if you feel that you are still likely to become homeless after following these steps outlined in your action plan, or are unsure what to do next.