Housing advice - more information - Right to buy scheme

More in "Housing advice - more information"

The ‘Right to buy’ scheme allows most council tenants to buy their council home at a discount.

You can apply to buy your council home if:

  • it is your only or main home

  • it is self-contained

  • you’re a secure tenant

  • you’ve had a public sector landlord (eg a council, housing association or NHS trust) for 3 years - it doesn’t have to be 3 years in a row

Use the online eligibility checker to see if you can apply.  

If you have an existing application and would like to enquire about that, please use our online enquiry form.