Benhill Estate Regeneration

About Benhill Estate

About Benhill

The Benhill area was formed in the mid 17th century after Thomas Alcock became Sutton's lord of the manor in 1845. He quickly turned his mind to property development and by 1852 had started a new suburb to the east of the High Street. He laid out Benhill Road, Benhill Street (now Benhill Avenue) and Benhill Wood Road, situated at the north end of Sutton. After the mid 20th century, between 1965 and 1974, Sutton Council started the development of the Benhill estate.

Benhill is within the Sutton Central Ward and is situated in close proximity to the Sutton town centre, close to local amenities such as shops, bars, cafes, public transport and schools.

The estate covers 6.5 hectares (16 Acres) and is comprised of 441 dwellings, with approximately half owned by leaseholders. The estate is comprised of bedsit/studio apartments, 1, 2, 3 and 4 bedroom flats and maisonettes.

There are 20 five-storey, deck access blocks of flats and maisonettes, a four-storey block of flats and a three-storey block of flats. Blocks form large polygonal courtyards with high level access-walk ways linking 18 of the blocks at third floor level. Upper level dwellings share communal access comprising of staircases and ramps. The majority of dwelling entrances open onto public access routes. All blocks have uncontrolled communal entrances. 

Blocks are divided up as follows:

  • Woodville House (33)

  • Homedale House (65)

  • Stancliffe House (40)

  • Clevedon House (93)

  • Hazelewood House (65)

  • Chesterton House (24)

  • Denewood House (23)

  • Newlyn House (44)

  • Glenrose House (42)

  • 87 Benhill Avenue (12)

The estate is managed on a day to day basis by Sutton Housing Partnership, the Council's ALMO.