Highways and street lighting

Vehicle crossings

A vehicle crossing is required to drive across a public footpath to park a vehicle. Find out how to apply and the charges involved.

Skip permits

A licence is required from the local authority if you wish to put a builder's skip on any part of the public highway.

Street lighting

Find out how to report a faulty street light in your neighbourhood or street.


You will need a licence from the Council to erect hoarding, scaffolding or place materials or containers on the public highway. Read more about how you can do this.

Overhanging vegetation

The council has obligations to ensure that public footpaths are kept clear for pedestrians, particularly those who are visually impaired.

Highway searches

Find out how everything you need to know about highway searches in Sutton.