New look website

Take a look at the beta version of our new look website. We’re keen to know what you think.

Take a look

Council tax

Your council tax bill

Your bill

Each year (normally in March) residents should receive their council tax bill showing how much is owing, any relevant discounts and how their bill is calculated.

Normally, payments are made in 10 monthly instalments (April to January - although the number of months is reduced if the bill is issued after the end of April), however you can now ask us to spread the payments over 12 months instead.

If you would like to do this, please email us.

You can sign up for ebilling using our online MyAccount portal.

Disputing a bill or discount with your council

If you disagree with your council tax bill because you think you are not liable, that you should receive a discount or that your home is exempt, please contact us. If you would rather write to us you can, but your claim will take longer to process. Whichever way you contact us, you need to explain your situation fully. If you need to provide evidence in support of your claim you can do this by scanning your proofs (documents) and emailing to us.

The council has two months to make a decision. If you still disagree with the council, or if it has not acted within the two-month period, you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal. This involves making a written appeal outlining your dispute. Your case may be dealt with by an exchange of written representation; otherwise, the tribunal will arrange a formal hearing to settle the case, which will last no more than a day.

A tribunal hearing costs you nothing, unless you choose to employ a solicitor or other person to present your case. If the tribunal decides in your favour, your council will revise your bill and adjust your payments accordingly. Please note that payment can NOT be withheld pending an appeal.