Housing benefit and council tax reduction - claims and payments

Starting a claim

Please note: if you are receiving Income Support, Job Seeker's Allowance (Income Based) or Employment & Support Allowance (Income Related) please go straight to Step 2. 

Step 1 - Check your entitlement

Use our online benefit calculator to find out if you are entitled. Please note: the benefit calculator may be undergoing maintenance. If this is the case and you cannot access it, please continue to start a claim by following the guidance below. 

Have the following ready before starting: 

  • your Local Housing Allowance rate if renting privately
  • your/your partner’s income & benefits
  • your/your partner’s capital
  • your actual rent, including a breakdown of any service charges included
  • any income and benefits received by other people in your household
  • any child care costs, if applicable
  • your annual council tax and council tax account number if applicable

You will have an opportunity to upload copies of your proofs within and at the end of the claim form.

This calculation depends on you using accurate information and is an estimate only. Your entitlement will be provided once an assessment officer has verified your claim.

Step 2 - Starting a claim

If the calculator shows you are entitled, you will need to make your claim online.

If you are acting on behalf of someone else, you can still make a claim online here.

Please ensure you complete each section of the claim form otherwise you will not be able to submit your claim.

There is associated help text within each section to help you complete the form.

rating button