You must be granted one of these licences to buy or sell scrap metal in the borough but you can only apply for one type of licence.
- Site Licences are needed if you are buying or selling scrap metal at a site within London Borough of Sutton (which also covers any other sites you may have within the London Borough of Sutton). Each site covered by the licence must have a Site Manager and must also display the licence in clear view to the public
- Collectors Licences are needed if you do not operate at a site but collect 'door to door'. Those collectors will have to apply to the local council for a licence in each of the areas they collect. Every person working on a vehicle collecting scrap metal must be licensed unless they are properly employed by a business licensed for a site or as a collector
If scrap metal is a by-product of your business you may be exempt from the need to be licensed, it will be necessary for you to prove the proportion of your business that consists of dealing in scrap metal. Examples of businesses that may be able to claim exemption are:
- Builders, plumbers, electricians, motor vehicle repair garages, and engineering workshops. Where scrap metal is recovered or produced as the result of the main purpose of the business.
Application for a scrap metal licence
Before you apply:
- Get a Basic Disclosure Certificate - You and every person listed on the application form needs to obtain a certificate from Disclosure Scotland as soon as possible; it may take up to 2 weeks to receive it. Certificates are valid for 3 months from the date of issue but can be used to apply to as many councils as you need to within that time
- Check to make sure you can apply - When determining if an applicant is suitable, the Council takes into account any offences prescribed by the government as 'Relevant Offences'. If in doubt, please refer to the Scrap Metal Dealers - Relevant Offences List
All applications must be accompanied by:
- The relevant fees are listed on our Licence Fees page (link right)
- A basic DBS check for every person named in the application, which is less than 3 months from the date of issue
If you would like to make a licensing enquiry, please use the online form.