Sex establishments

Sex establishments are required to be licensed, including sexual entertainment venues, sex shops and sex cinemas - under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.

Premises that sell R18 (adult) videos and DVDs or items classed as "sex articles" must have a licence.

Sexual Entertainment venues provide entertainment to a live audience, for financial gain, including lap dancing, strip shows and sex shows, etc.

If you operate a cinema where a significant percentage of the films shown are concerned primarily with or related to, or are intended to stimulate, sexual activity you will also need a licence to operate as a sex cinema.

If you would like to make a licensing enquiry, please use the online form.