We want to hear from you about your experience of contacting the London Borough of Sutton Council.

If you are interested in taking part in a research project that aims to improve your experience of contacting the London Borough of Sutton please follow the link to sign up

Sign up form

Gambling Licensing

Occasional Gambling Activities

Premises where gambling activities are provided must be authorised by a premises licence. However, when certain conditions are met, authorisation can be given for premises to be used for gambling activities on a temporary or occasional basis.

Temporary use notices 

These allow the use of premises for gambling where there is no premises licence but where a gambling operator wishes to use the premises temporarily for providing facilities for gambling. Premises that might be suitable would include hotels, conference centres and sporting venues. A Temporary use notice (TUN) may only be granted to a person or company holding a relevant operating licence.

How to apply for a temporary use notice (TUN)

A Temporary Use Notice must be lodged with the licensing authority not less than three months and one day before the day on which the gambling event will begin. Copies of the notice must be copied to:

  • the Gambling Commission
  • the Police
  • HM Commissioners for Revenue and Customs
  • if applicable, any other licensing authority in the area that the premises are situated.

The bodies that receive copies of the notice will consider whether they wish to give notice of objection. If an objection is received, the application will be determined by the Council’s Licensing Sub Committee.

The same set of premises may not be the subject of a TUN for more than 21 days in any 12 month period. If the premises have been the subject of a TUN for more than 21 days the licensing authority must issue a counter-notice to stop the TUN and a copy of the TUN must be displayed prominently on the premises.

Occasional use notices

The Gambling Act 2005 provides that where there is betting on a track on eight days or less in a calendar year, an occasional use notice may permit betting without the need for a full premises licence. The processes set out in the Act for applying for an occasional use notice are different to those for temporary use notices. Provided that the notice will not result in betting facilities being available for more than eight days in a calendar year, there is no provision for counter-notices or objections to be submitted.

How to apply for an occasional use notice

An Occasional Use Notice must be served by a person who is responsible for the administration on the track or by an occupier of the track.  The notice must be served on the licensing authority and copied to the chief officer of police for the area in which the track is located. The notice must specify the day on which it has effect. Notices may be given in relation to consecutive days, so long as the overall limit of eight days is not exceeded in the calendar year.


There is no fee for an occasional use notice. The fee for a temporary use notice is detailed on our fees page.

Betting in pubs and clubs

No commercial betting at all, regardless of the level of stakes, is allowed in pubs or clubs. 

Public Register

The Gambling Commission public register holds the details of all operating licence holders, personal licence holders and premises licences. For details of other licence and permit holders, please contact the Licensing Team.