Alcohol and Entertainment

Personal Licences

The Personal Licence is separate from the Premises Licence that authorises the premises to be used for the supply of alcohol and other licensable activities. The separate licensing of individuals permits the movement of Personal Licence holders from one premise to another, allowing greater flexibility

The Licensing Act 2003 states that if a Premises Licence includes the sale or supply of alcohol then a Designated Premises Supervisor must be named on the Premises Licence who will be responsible for the day to day running of the premises. Any person nominated as a A Personal Licence is needed to allow a person to undertake, or supervise the undertaking of, the sale or supply of alcohol. A personal licence is granted to the person, not the premises, so can be used at another premises by that person.

If alcohol is to be sold or supplied on the premises and is included in the Premises Licence, a Designated Premises Supervisor must be named and must hold a Personal Licence. If approved, not all staff supplying or selling alcohol at that premises need hold a Personal Licence.

Temporary Event Notices - Personal Licence holders will be able to give 50 Temporary Event Notices each year whereas there will be a limit of 5 for non-Personal Licence holders.

To apply for a Personal Licence, applicants must:

  • Be over 18 years
  • Hold a Licensing Qualification that has been accredited by the Secretary of State
  • Submit two passport size photographs (one must be signed by a professional person)
  • Include the fee for the licence of £37

They must also have one of the following:A criminal conviction certificate issued under S112 of the Police Act 1997 (This is a Basic Disclosure Certificate - available from the Disclosure and Barring Service ), or

  • A criminal record certificate issued under S113a of the Police Act 1997 (This is a Disclosure and Barring Service Check - available from the Disclosure and Barring Service), or

  • The results of a subject access search under the Data Protection Act 1998 of the Police National Computer by the National Identification Service.

Please Note: Certificate or search results must not be more than one calendar month old when lodged with us. This is a strict requirement and will be adhered to.

Application for:

If there are relevant offences then the police can make a representation against the application on crime prevention grounds. If the police make a representation then there will be a hearing by the Council's Sub-Committee


rating button