A notable figure in Sutton's history, George Rice was born about 1848. A Black American, he was probably the son of GA Rice, steward of the steamer Pilgrim. In 1870 he emigrated to Edinburgh where he studied medicine under Joseph Lister - the pioneer of antiseptic treatment in surgery. Rice was later to give one of his children the middle name Lister. After graduation in 1874 in medicine, surgery and obstetrics he worked at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for a year before moving south to eventually settle in Plumstead, London.
Dr Rice's connections with Sutton appear to start in about 1885, although little is known about his life here. He and his wife, Florence Mary, (who came from Plumstead) had two sons baptised in Sutton Parish Church in 1885 and 1887. Unfortunately both appear to have died young. In the early part of the 20th century he was employed in the Belmont Asylum where he specialised in treating male epileptics. From about 1919.- 1935 he lived at Sagamore, 50 Egmont Road, Sutton. His daughter, MI Rice, lived at 50a but appears to have taken over the whole house from 1938 when she ran a preparatory school there.
There is a small collection of papers relating to Dr Rice in Sutton's Archives. The photo below, which is in Sutton archives, shows Dr Rice with the some of the staff of the Belmont Asylum.