Changes to Library Services
Changes in the library buildings
Observing social distancing and reducing contact with physical surfaces is essential in protecting our residents, our community and maintaining public health. As such, the libraries are operating under the following conditions:
- NHS Test & Trace QR code posters are displayed in all buildings. Visitors are asked to scan the code on entrance using the NHS COVID-19 app.
- A one-way queue system is in operation with 2m social distancing.
- Visitors to our libraries are required to wear face coverings at all times and use the hand sanitiser provided. Perspex screens are also in place to help protect visitors and staff.
- Self-service kiosks are unavailable at this time.here. You will need your library card number and pin.
Some of our events are currently taking place online. Enjoyable pastimes such as Rhymetime, our Digital Information Centre, new blog articles, etc. can be experienced from home. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest news. Join our email mail list for additional updates.
- Public toilets are available on request.
- Study spaces are not available until further notice.
- Cafes in Whitehall Historic House and Honeywood Museum are open for takeaway services only. Whitehall Historic House: Tuesday - Saturday 10am - 4pm (from the 9/1/20) Honeywood Museum: Monday - Sunday 10am-5pm.
- Cafes in Sutton Central Library, Sutton Life Centre and Wallington Library are currently unavailable.
- Room hire is permitted for essential educational purposes only.
- Physical newspapers and magazines are no longer available. Digital access to national and international newspapers and magazines can be found here. You will need your library card number and pin.
- Some of our events are currently taking place online. Enjoyable pastimes such as Rhymetime, our Digital Information Centre, new blog articles, etc. can be experienced from home. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest news. Join our email mail list for additional updates.
Changes in book borrowing
General browsing is not available in Sutton’s libraries. Library stock may be borrowed through our ‘Select & Collect’ service. Your library card number and PIN will be required; new users can register for a library card number and PIN. To have books available for you to collect from a library, you can:
1. Select your book via:
- The online catalogue
- My Library App (Android / Apple)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 020 8770 4740
2. Receive confirmation saying your books are ready to collect.
3. Collect your books in the library within 14 days.
Books will be quarantined for 72 hours and will be handled with protective equipment (e.g. gloves).
Pre-selected Lucky Dip book packs for preschoolers and young children are available. These are packs of six books for young children to enjoy reading. To request a lucky dip book pack please email your child's name, age and library card number to email@example.com.
The Home Library Service will also be in operation, delivering books to those in our community who have trouble getting to their local library, are vulnerable and/or socially isolated. If you wish to become a member of this service please phone (020 8770 4740) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Changes in IT facilities in libraries
IT facilities (e.g. public computers, printers) are available for emergency and essential use only, and need to be booked in advance by sending an email to email@example.com or calling 0208 770 4740. Visitors will not be permitted to use IT equipment without a pre-arranged appointment time. Time slots are strictly 45 minutes only, and once elapsed the user will be required to vacate.