Transport for children with a SEN statement

Assistance with transport for children with Statements of Special Educational Need
Most children are able to travel to and from school either by themselves or with a parent or friend of the family. However, some children will be unable to do so and Sutton may offer assistance with transport in these cases.

We will consider distances and will also look at the child's special needs before we decide whether to provide help with transport and what form the transport help should take.

If a child goes to a special school or has a statement of SEN, this does not automatically mean that he or she qualifies for help with transport. We will assess each case individually.

Where help is provided, it is not guaranteed that it will continue to do so in the future. We will make changes for the developing needs of the child along with any changes in local or national policy and practice. We will look at transport changes during the annual review but also from time to time during the year.

If your child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs, please refer to the Home to School Transport Policy for Children with Statements of SEN for more information.

If you have questions regarding eligibility, please contact the SEN Transport Manager Team on 020 8770 6783, or by email, or by post to London Borough of Sutton Children's Transport Team, The Grove, Carshalton SM5 3AL.

For all other queries, please contact the People Transport team on 020 8770 6594 or by post at London Borough of Sutton People Transport, Sutton West Centre, Robin Hood Lane, Sutton SM1 2SD.


Disabled Persons Freedom Pass

The London borough of Sutton issue freedom passes to disabled people. Download details of eligibility criteria.

Adults and children over the age of 5 who meet the criteria should apply to London Borough of Sutton, Civic Offices, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1EA. Telephone 020 8770 4537.

An application form will be sent to you on request or can be collected from civic offices.

Residence: Your permanent place of residence must be within the London Borough of Sutton.

Permanent Disability: Freedom Passes are issued in line with the central principle of the DDA definition. The types of disability that enable people to claim the statutory minimum are those which are permanent or which have lasted at least 12 months and which have a substantial effect on a person’s ability to carry out normal day to day activities.


More information
SEN transport policy
Application form
Independent Travel Training: A Parent’s Guide

Journey Planner

rating button