The local area works within the legislative and policy framework set by the Children and Families Act 2014 and the SEND Code of Practice 2015 (chapter 3).
The key principles that underpin the Local Area’s approach to SEND in Sutton are set out below.
- The Local Area offer should be based on systems that are fair, transparent and equitable
- Strong partnerships with health, social care, parents/carers and children and young people are critical to developing successful services for young people with SEND.
- Parents, carers and young people will be involved in all that we do
- We will fully utilise the expertise of professionals from across the partnership to build effective decision making processes
- Collaboration, sharing of best practice and peer moderation is critical to achieving consistency, accountability and quality
- The decisions we make will be based on evidence and the effective use of data
- An approach based on early intervention, identification and intervention is critical to good outcomes. Early intervention is ‘everyone’s business’
- Each level of the system will use the assess, plan, do, review cycle to ensure that support provided meets SEND needs quickly and effectively
- Effective communication is critical
- Pupils’ SEND needs should be the passport to support; the presence or absence of an EHCP should not be a barrier to pupils getting the support they need
- All children and young people should have the opportunity to be educated in their local community where possible
- All children and young people should have the opportunity, wherever possible, to be educated in mainstream provision - including those with Education, Health and Care plans
- We will maintain and develop the range of available local in-borough provision, including specialist resourced provisions within mainstream schools and special schools
- We should be preparing young people with SEND for adulthood from an early stage
- We wish to encourage young people to be as independent as possible and to contribute to their local community
- We aim to ensure children and young people with SEND always achieve their full potential