The Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan


Who needs an EHC plan 

A Local Authority will issue an EHC Plan if it considers that the special educational provision required to meet a child or young person's needs cannot reasonably be provided from within the resources normally available to mainstream early years providers, schools and post-16 institutions.  Children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) up to the age of 25 are eligible.Download the EHC Plan Template (PDF, 319.34) 

The majority of children and young people with SEND will be supported within their mainstream school through the graduated approach, quality first teaching, targeted and personalised support. 

If a parent or carer thinks that their child/young person has SEND, the SEND Team recommend that parents/carers 

  • Talk to the class teacher/tutor. 
  • Arrange a meeting with the school/settings SENDCo (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator) to discuss concerns and support.

If the education setting/school thinks that the child/young person has SEND they should 

  • Talk to parents/carers about their concerns and start to gather evidence such as reviews of outcomes and reports about the child's/young person's progress. 
  • The setting/school should give the child/young person the support they need.  This could include getting advice and support from specialists outside the school (such as the SEN Team and Speech and Language Therapist). 

The SEN team will be responsible for the coordination of the EHC Needs Assessment.  To support settings in making requests for EHC Needs Assessment they should first complete the Preparing to request an EHC Needs Assessment paperwork and attend the SEND Inclusion Forum.  Settings will be able to evidence the targeted interventions they have provided with regard to the graduated approach document and EHC guidelines.

Requesting an EHC Needs Assessment 

Parents/carers, or young people themselves when they are over 16, can ask us for an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment as well as teachers at an education setting.

In order to request an assessment:


Should you require assistance with competing the All about Me as part of the request:  

A diagram showing the Education Health Care Plan process.




27/07/2021, 10:19:08