Money matters

Information and services that can help you with financial advice

Information and services that can help you with financial advice
Access-to-work If you want to work but have a disability that makes working a problem you may be able to get help from the Access to Work scheme. This provides practical advice and support to help you overcome work-related obstacles. It can also give you grants towards extra employment costs.

Benefits for families Includes Child Trust Funds, Childcare and the Sure Start Maternity grant.

Carers and disability benefits Includes Disability Living Allowance, Carer's Allowance and Employment and Support Allowance.

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability.

16 to 19 Bursary Fund You could get a bursary to help with education-related costs if you’re aged 16 to 19.

Jobcentre Plus The agency provides services primarily to those attempting to find employment and to those requiring the issuing of a financial provision due to, in the first case lack of employment, of an allowance to assist with the living costs and expenditure intrinsic to the effort to achieve employment.

Self Directed Support An easy read booklet about taking control of your own Personal Budget. Produced in partnership with In Control and Mencap.

Sutton Citizens Advice Bureau We are a charity that provides information and advice on issues including: housing; welfare benefits; employment; debt and relationship breakdown.

Benefits & Work Guide Website Our handy personal independence payment (PIP) self-test allows you to score yourself for the daily living and mobility components of PIP just by clicking with your mouse.

It will do the maths for you, tell you what components you assess yourself as qualifying for and what rates you assess yourself as being eligible for.  It will even email you a copy of your results if you decide to provide your email address – but that’s entirely up to you. But you do need to be aware that a decision maker using a report from an Atos or Capita health professional may not reach the same conclusion that you do about your eligibility for PIP.  The PIP test is anonymous and the results will appear in your browser as soon as you have completed the single page of multiple choice questions. But, if you wish, you can also have your PIP results emailed to you. start the PIP self-test.

Thinking Ahead: Helping Families Plan for the Future
Thinking Ahead is a guide, produced by the Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities, to help families think and talk about things such as leaving money in a trust fund, finding good quality housing and support, and getting other people involved in their relative’s life to act as advocates. The guide has just been updated to include information on the 2015 Care Act.

Contact a Family Money Matters A checklist of benefits and support available when your child has additional needs.

British Institute of Learning Disabilities (BILD)
The British Institute of Learning Disabilities, BILD, was commissioned by Barclays to develop accessible information and resources to support people with learning disabilities to manage their money. Resources include tool kits and DVDs on how to manage money and bank accounts, including:

  • opening and using a bank account
  • using an ATM
  • understanding how to budget
  • spending and saving
  • keeping your money safe
  • where to go for more help and support


Eligibility Checking for 30 hours

The Childcare Service System has now gone live for parents with children up to the age of 4. This means that parents wishing to access the 30 hours free childcare entitlement from September 2017, will now be able to apply using the system.

Parents can also apply online via the Childcare Service website.

Childcare choices

The Government have launched Childcare Choices. This new website for the first time brings together information on all the government childcare offers available, helping parents find the right childcare support.

Extended free entitlement (30 Hours)

The extended free entitlement is an additional 570 hours a year free childcare for 3 & 4 year olds available to working parents.  Please read further information on childcare choices.

Tax free childcare

Tax free childcare is a new scheme for working parents that is similar to how the current employee voucher scheme works. Parents will need to create an online account and will be able to pay their childcare provider through this account. The childcare provider must also sign up to Tax free childcare to receive payment.

All providers should have by now, received information from HMRC on how to sign up to Tax free childcare.

Read on the top ten things providers should know.

Useful links