Council tax online services

Our Council Tax online services (including paying your Council Tax), will be unavailable between 10am and 6pm on Saturday 23 June. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Private sector housing

Houses in multiple occupation and mandatory or landlord licences

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a house or flat which is occupied by more than one household (i.e. people that are unrelated or not living as a couple) who share amenities such as a kitchen, bathroom or toilet. The landlord may or may not live in the house. 

Under the Housing Act 2004 certain larger HMO's require a mandatory licence from the local authority. Please note that although this licence is sometimes known as a 'landlord licence', this is to licence the property, not the landlord. 

More information on HMO's can be found on the website or alternatively contact the Regulatory services department using the online enquiry form.

rating button