What is Sutton’s Future?
Sutton’s Future initially ran between 10 July 2014 and 8 September 2016 and saw the Council engage with more than 8,000 residents with the aim of making an unprecedented £74m of savings between 2010 and 2019. Sutton’s Future has re-launched for 2018 in a renewed effort to raise awareness of the continued challenges facing Sutton Council.
What challenges face Sutton?
So far, with your help we have saved £83m since austerity began (between 2010/11 and 2018/19) but we still face increased pressure on our budget which require further cuts:
- the borough will have lost 40% of Government funding from 2010 until 2019
- in total, we need to save £102m by 2020/21, so we still need to save £19m from the annual budget by 2021
- there continue to be pressures on health and social services as a result of growing numbers of children in need and our ageing local population
- since 2014 there has been a 40% increase in pupils with Special Education Needs
- the Homeless Reduction Act 2017 comes into force on 1st April 2018. Whilst welcome, it will cost Sutton between £750k and £1.1m
How can you help?
We need your help to make the hard decisions that are necessary to ensure key services are maintained and Sutton remains a borough where we can all take part and take pride.
Sutton’s Future Survey
We invite all residents to take part in the survey, to provide us with valuable feedback that will help shape how we best safeguard key services on your behalf.