Sutton Council wants to ensure that our adult social care advice, information and services are accessible to adults who have communication needs as a result of a disability or impairment.

When people with adult social care needs contact the council they will be asked if they have any communication needs as a result of a disability.

If they do, we will ask them for what support they need in terms of:

  • communication support – eg do they have an advocate
  • requires specific contact method – eg only contact by email
  • requires specific information format – eg needs information in Makaton, and
  • requires communication professional – eg British Sign Language interpreter required.

Find out more: Sutton Council’s Accessible Communications Policy.