Under the Explosives Regulations (2014), you will need to have a storage licence if you wish to store small amounts of explosives.
There are only certain times at which fireworks can be sold:
- Bonfire Night - 15 October to 10 November
- New Year's Eve - 26 December to 31 December
- Chinese New Year - on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days before it
- Diwali - on the day of Diwali and the three days before it
If you want to store and sell fireworks outside the above dates, you will have to apply for an annual supply licence.
Length of licence
You can apply for a seasonal storage licence between 1 and 5 years in length. Annual supply licences last for one year.
If you are applying for the first time, and your business has no inspection or enforcement history, we will usually only issue a 1 year licence.
If you wish to apply for a 2, 3, 4, or 5 year licence, we will take a proportionate, risk-based approach to your application. This will look at the nature of your business and the likely lifetime of the licensed site. For example, the difference between pop-up shops and freehold retail.
New retailers with no inspection or enforcement history
We will consider extending the period of your licence at renewal.
We would expect to grant the licence for the period required by the applicant if:
- the duty holder can demonstrate robust safety management systems
- the duty holder has a good history of compliance at another licensed site
The licence could be up to the 5 year maximum.
Existing site with a mixed or poor history of compliance
If the site and person remains fit, we will consider granting a licence for a short period.
We will consider granting a licence for a period of less than 5 years if:
- the holder regularly requires advice
- minor breaches have been identified at inspection
- other concerns such as high relevant staff turnover
How to apply
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) provide information and guidance on how to apply, and the application forms.
You can email your application form to the Licencing Team, or post it to us at:
London Borough of Sutton
St Nicholas Way
We will examine the information provided and contact applicants to arrange an inspection if needed.
If you are applying for the first time, we will visit you before your licence is granted. This will be to assess how you plan to store the explosives both on and off the shop floor.