Help with travelling to school
All children attending a maintained school can get support with the cost of travel to and from school. This applied to children from reception class age until the end of Year 11.
Free travel in Sutton
Children under 18 travel for free by bus or tram, within the Transport for London (TfL) area.
Children under 11 travel free on
- the London Underground
- London Overground
- TfL Rail
- if they are accompanied by an adult, or
- with a 5-10 zip oyster photocard
You can find out more by visiting the Transport for London (TfL) website.
If you need extra support
Children who need to travel on alternative forms of transport, or by bus outside the Transport for London area may be entitled to additional support. This support is provided by Cognus’ Assisted Transport team.
Who’s eligible for extra support
You may be able to get financial support with school travel costs if:
- the primary school is not accessible within a time tabled journey of less than 45 minutes, or
- the secondary school is not accessible within a time tabled journey of less than 75 minutes, and
- the Transport for London free travel concession applies throughout the journey
We have a duty to encourage and facilitate travel to school in an environmentally sustainable way.
We work with all schools in the borough to help them do this in accordance with Sutton's School Sustainable Modes of Travel Strategy (PDF).