The Grove Park forms a key part of the Carshalton Conservation Area occupying the north and east sides of Carshalton village's Lower Pond. The area of the site is 7.21 hectares. The ornamental park near the ponds and the recreation ground to the east. The park is a remaining portion of the Grove Estate, which originated within the medieval grounds of Stone Court. This sub-manor can be traced to the 14th Century.

The parks present landscape has its roots in the early 17th Century, when the area is shown on a private estate survey c.1620, called the 'Arundel Map'. The Mill is of considerable antiquity, it has mention in Carshalton's entry into the Domesday Book which means that it has been a working mill site since the middle ages.

Margaret's Pool - located behind Honeywood Museum, Carshalton.
On the 1868 Ordinance Survey Map, Margaret's Pool was called the the Waterhouse Pond and since then has been variously known as Margaret's, Lady Margaret's or Saint Margaret's Pool or Well. John Ruskin had substantial landscaping done to the area surrounding the pool according to his very particular tastes.
Carshalton Urban District Council took over responsibility for Margaret's Pool in 1899 and although the pool has dried up, the landscaping work can still be discerned.

ADDRESS: Junction of North Street/High Street, Carshalton, Surrey. SM5 3AL

How to get there
Bus: 127, 157, 407,  X26 all stop on Carshalton High Street, Check your route TFL - Journey Planner
Train: Carshalton Station (turn left out of station and at bottom of hill, turn right. Park entrance in North Street past Sun pub on right).
Road: Parking in Carshalton High Street (A232)

Accessibility: Ladies and disabled toilets located by the café. Gents toilets located opposite the playground. These toilets are open 7.30am – 3pm and are maintained by Sutton Council.


  • Playground
  • Crazy golf
  • Outdoor gym
  • Bowling green
  • Ball park
  • Cafe
  • Toilets
Please note: BBQs are not permitted at this park.