Some licences are administered by other organisations or Council departments. Find out more about the different types of licences below:


You do not need to obtain a licence or permit to busk in Sutton. You need to be aware of surroundings and not obstruct the highway or cause a noise nuisance. You may not use street furniture such as public seats, lampposts, planting and railings. The selling of any merchandise such as CDs and t-shirts is not permitted and would be an offence for which busker could be prosecuted. Should you wish to sell any products, you must obtain a Street Trading Licence.

Charity street collections

A permit is required by anyone collecting money for charitable purposes in a public place and it is an offence to hold a collection without one. This would include house-to-house collections. Permits are issued in London by the Police and you should apply for one online.

Child performing licences

A child may need a licence if they’re under school leaving age and taking part in films, plays, concerts or other public performances that the audience pays to see, or that take place on licensed premises or any sporting events or modelling assignments where the child is paid. Please contact the Council on 0208 770 5000 and ask for the Child Employment and Performance Licensing Officer.

Consumer credit licenses

If a business offers credit or lends money to consumers, or allows customers time to pay for goods and services, it must be licensed with the Office of Fair Trading under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Cooling Towers

The Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations require those in control of premises with wet cooling systems or evaporative condensers to register them with their local authority and to notify them of any subsequent changes, including when plant ceases to be in operation.

Door supervision and security licences

The Security Industry Authority (SIA) is responsible for licensing all individuals and companies working in the security industry, including door supervisors and security guards.

Environmental Permit

If you are a business wanting to carry out processes that may cause emissions to land, air or water you must apply for an environmental permit.

  • The Environment Agency regulates industry with the greatest potential of causing pollution to land, air or water. These are known as Part A (1) installations and are regulated under the Integrated Pollution and Prevention and Control (IPPC) system. For example: Large foundries / Brickworks / Chemical production / Waste disposal

  • We regulate industries with less potential to pollute the environment. These are known as Part A (2) activities, these cover similar activities to Part A (1) installations, but on a smaller scale.

We also regulate Part B activities. Permit conditions for Part B activities only cover emissions to air. These include dry cleaners, paint spraying operations, waste oil burners, crematoria and petrol stations.

Fire regulation and certificates

Under the Fire Safety Reform Order every commercial premises must be subject to a comprehensive fire safety risk assessment. This has eliminated the need for most premises to hold fire certification. The London Fire Brigade is responsible for enforcing fire safety laws.

Food safety registration and approval

Registration of businesses to store, prepare, distribute or sell food from their premises. Food premises approval for businesses providing products containing foods of animal origin to other businesses.

Highways licences

Permission to put a builder's skip/materials on a public road, to put up scaffolding, to place a mobile crane on a public road, to film.

Houses in Multiple Occupation Licence (HMO)

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) exists where three or more unrelated people live in a property and share amenities such as a kitchen, bathroom and/or WC. This could be a flat, maisonette or a house and the occupiers could be on one or multiple tenancy agreements.


No permit or licence is required to hand out leaflets, although they should avoid areas directly outside train station and other transport hubs. Distributors should be advised that all litter should be removed from the vicinity and fixed penalty notices are handed out by Enforcement Officers for littering. They should inform local Police Safer Neighbourhood Team and get permission from private land owner where required.

Music Licence

The MusicLicence allows you to legally play music for employees or customers in your business through the radio, TV, other digital devices and live performances.

Visit the music licence website to find out more about the process 

Nursing agencies licences and care homes

The proprietors of all adult care social care services - including nursing agencies, care homes and domiciliary care agencies - must register with Care Quality Commission.

Petroleum licensing

The London Fire Brigade is the licensing authority for the storage of petroleum in London. You need a licence if you are storing petroleum for commercial or retail purposes.

Planning Permission

For example A1, A3, B1, C1, sometimes people call this a licence.

The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (as amended) puts uses of land and buildings into various categories known as 'Use Classes'. This Order is periodically amended. It is generally the case that you will need planning permission to change from one use class to another, although there are exceptions where the legislation does allow some changes between uses.

Sunday Trading

There is no longer any requirement for shops wishing to trade on Sundays to register with their local authority. However, the number of hours that large shops (i.e. shops with a floor space of more than 280 square metres/3,000 square feet) may trade for on Sunday’s remains restricted.

Taxi and private hire licences

A hackney carriage is more commonly called a taxi, or black cab. A licence is required for both the taxi and for any person driving a taxi. Licenses are provided by Transport for London.

Private hire vehicles (mini cabs) also have to be licensed. Private hire vehicles are vehicles that cannot be hailed from the street, and journeys must be pre-booked. Vehicles must be tested and inspected before a licence can be issued to ensure that they are mechanically fit, safe and comfortable.

Minicab operators must hold a licence from the Public Carriage Office (PCO) to run a service (to accept or invite bookings for private hire vehicles). A licence is required before any person can drive a private hire vehicle. Licences are issued subject to proof of eligibility (age, driving licence, criminal records check, medical assessment etc.).

Weighbridge certificate

To operate a public weighbridge, you need a certificate of competence issued by our Chief Inspector for Weights and Measures. Contact the council's Trading Standards team