Crisis loans & grants provide help to cover unexpected expenses in a crisis or emergency.
Support that can be offered includes:
- Food vouchers for Morrisons Supermarket.
- Only beds, fridges, fridge-freezers, cookers and washing machines are provided.
- Key or Card top-up for Gas and/or Electric meter (British Gas are not part of this scheme)
Please be aware that large items may only be available for doorstep delivery, however, the installation and removal of electric cookers is possible inside your property.
People applying must receive one or more of the following:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Universal Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Reduction
If an applicant is due to leave an institution or care home within 6 weeks and is likely to get one of the above benefits they would be eligible, providing they meet the remaining conditions.
Any prisoner that was resident in the London Borough of Sutton for at least 6 out of the last 12 months or 3 out of the last 5 years, before going into prison, will be eligible to apply.
In addition the applicant must satisfy all of the following conditions:
- Be responsible for the household they live in (i.e. can demonstrate a liability for rent or Council Tax).
- Be resident in London Borough of Sutton (and have lived here for 6 weeks prior to applying) or have been placed in housing outside the borough by the London Borough of Sutton within the past 6 months.
- Must use any savings to help the situation or crisis before an application will be considered.
- Must not have other means of support to help the situation or crisis eg. social network, family and friends.
Must not be a person subject to immigration control.
- Must not have received a Crisis Loan or Grant award in the borough within the past 3 months.
- Must be without sufficient resources as to cause serious hardship which could affect the health or safety of the household