A range of services to support families with young Disabled Children, including Portage and Team around the Child.
A home visiting service for pre-school children who have special needs 0-3 years.
The service we offer:
- a structured and flexible approach to learning aimed at the individual needs of the child
- to show parents how to introduce, develop and implement teaching techniques in all areas of their child's development including behaviour
- to share ideas with parents on how to stimulate their child's learning and together break down certain skills into smaller manageable steps which the parents and child can practice between visits
- to provide professional advice and support to parents in all aspects of their child's early development
- to help parents develop an understanding of their child's needs and the skills with which to meet those needs
- a link for parents and their child during the first phases of their formal education
The 2017 Portage Service Impact report is available in downloads at the bottom of this page.
Contact information: Phone: 020 8770 4834
Early Support Co-ordinator
The Early Support Co-ordinator is available to help families in the early stages of a child's diagnosis.
Team around the Child Meetings
What are Team around the Child Meetings (formerly called IMPACT meetings)?
A Team around the Child meeting is an opportunity for parents, carers, children and professionals to meet up, share information and to decide a plan for the best way forward in the next few months. Team around the Child is generally for children with disabilities aged 0-8 years. Meetings are kept as informal as possible, parents are encouraged to bring along significant people in the child or family's life and there is an attempt to look at the needs of the whole family. Parents are recognised as experts on their own children, are very much in the driving seat of the meeting and are encouraged to ask questions and to raise any points they wish. A plan is drawn up to best meet the needs identified and is based on the outcomes of being healthy, enjoying and achieving, staying safe, making a positive contribution and achieving economic well-being. For more information please read the Team around the Child Leaflet.
To access services or further information:
Practitioners and Families can call AccessPoint on 020 8770 4690 or email AccessPoint@sutton.gov.uk regarding any of the above services and how to make a referral.