Where to get help | Domestic abuse | Sutton Council
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) : latest information and advice

What is the current situation with the COVID -19 (Coronavirus) and where to find more information.

Information from the London Borough of Sutton

Domestic abuse

Where to get help


How to hide your tracks

Not Alone in Sutton

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, you may feel afraid about looking for help because you've been threatened, or because you think no-one else will be listening to you. But you don't have to face domestic violence on your own. There are many organisations that can offer support and can help to protect you.

Victim Support
Victim Support is the national independent charity that offers support to victims of crime. It will help by providing you with information, practical help and emotional support, by:

  • always prioritising your safety
  • giving you time to think and to make decisions
  • offering continued support whatever decisions you make
  • putting you in touch with other agencies that can help, for example with housing, benefits and legal advice
  • helping you to explore your options for dealing with the aftermath of the crime

Its services are confidential, free and available to everyone. Victim Support accepts referrals from official and other organisations as well as self-referrals from individuals, whether or not you want to report the crime to the police and regardless of when it happened. National support line,  telephone 0845 30 30 900 9am to 9pm weekdays and 9am to 7pm weekends or supportline@victimsupport.org.uk

You can contact Victim Support in Sutton as follows:
Sutton One Stop Shop, Sutton Baptist Church, 121 Cheam Road, Sutton SM1 1SN
Sutton Civic Offices, St Nicholas Way, Sutton SM1 1EA

Appointments can be made via Victim Support South West London Office on 020 7801 1777 or  0845 450 3936.

If you’ve been affected by crime, harm or abuse and live in London, you can talk to Victim Support in confidence using their free Live Chat tool. If you’re over 18 visit www.victimsupport.org.uk/livechatlondon - or if you’re under 18 visit https://www.youandco.org.uk/.

You can also call their Supportline on Freephone 08 08 16 89 111, find your local service or contact them through their website to get support.

Domestic abuse is a crime and the police take it very seriously. They can enter a home without a search warrant to prevent injury, and they can arrest the abuser if necessary. The police can also arrange a safe place for you to go. If you are in immediate danger, always phone the police on 999.

If you cannot make voice calls, you can now contact the 999 emergency services by SMS text from your mobile phone. However, you will only be able to use this service if you have registered with emergencySMS first. There is a British Sign Language video explaining the service.

In less urgent cases  you can contact the police without using the emergency 999 service:

  • Call the central police reporting line on 0300 123 12 12 or ring 101 (the police non-emergency number) to report a previous incident
  • Visit your local police station - find it here
  • Call Sutton Safer Neighbourhoods Team, and someone will discuss your concerns with you

Housing Options and Support
If you are in need of emergency accommodation, you can approach your local council directly.

Other support, information and advice
National Centre for Domestic Violence provides a free, fast emergency injunction service to survivors of domestic violence regardless of their financial circumstances, race, gender or sexual orientation.

The National Stalking Helpline provides guidance and information to anybody who is currently or has previously been affected by harassment or stalking.

Network for Surviving Stalking represents UK stalking victims and their families.

The Dogs Trust Freedom Project is a pet fostering project for women fleeing domestic violence in the Greater London area.

For women experiencing domestic abuse
Sutton Women's Centre offers counselling and confidential advice for women that have suffered from domestic abuse. 

The Freephone 24 Hour National Domestic Violence Helpline, run in partnership between Women's Aid and Refuge, is a national service for women experiencing domestic violence, their family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf. As well as advice it can offer access to emergency refuge accommodation. Call 0808 200 0247.

Refuge's network of safe houses provides emergency accommodation for women and children when they are most in need.

Women's Aid is a national charity working to end domestic violence against women and children. There is a local branch in Sutton (select London and Sutton from the drop down lists).

Rape Crisis South London has four centres that offer help, information and support to women and girls who have experienced sexual violence of any kind, at any time of their lives.

Rights of Women is a women's voluntary organisation committed to informing, educating and empowering women concerning their legal rights.

For men experiencing domestic abuse
Many of us think of domestic abuse as being something that only happens to women, but men can also be victims of abuse. Many men don't report when they are being abused but it's important you get help.

The Men's advice line is run by the charity Respect to support men who are victims of domestic violence. Phone 0808 801 0327 (Mon, Tues and Weds 10am-1pm and 2-5pm. There is an answer machine outside these hours).

The ManKind Initiative provides help and support for male victims of domestic abuse and domestic violence.

You can find information on domestic abuse against men on NHS Choices.

For LGBT+ people experiencing domestic abuse
Domestic abuse can be as common and as severe in same-sex relationships as in heterosexual relationships.

Are You Hurting the one You Love? is a booklet on male violence in gay and bisexual relationships.

The London LGBT Domestic Abuse Partnership is a way for LGBT  people who  have experienced domestic abuse to get the maximum amount of help with a minimum amount of hassle.

Stonewall Housing has a leaflet called Housing options for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender people experiencing domestic abuse

For older people experiencing domestic abuse
Action on Elder Abuse offers a free helpline providing emotional support, information and guidance to anyone concerned about potential abuse affecting older people.

For children experiencing domestic abuse
If you are worried about abuse against children or young people, contact children's safeguarding immediately.

The National Child Protection Helpline - 0808 800 5000 - is committed to a service to anyone who needs advice, help or information about concerns for a child's welfare, or to those who want to report concerns they have about a child or young person at risk of abuse.

The Hideout from Women's Aid gives support to children and young people affected by domestic violence.

ChildLine is a private and confidential service for children and young people up to the age of nineteen. You can contact a ChildLine counsellor about anything - no problem is too big or too small. Call free on 0800 1111, have a one to one chat online or send an email.

For abusers who want to stop
Respect brings together a number of programmes working with abusers. Call 0845 122 8609.

Advice on forced marriage
The Forced Marriage Unit is a government office that provides support and assistance to British nationals being forced into marriage overseas. Call 020 7008 0151, or out of hours call 020 7008 1500.

Getting legal advice
Go to our page on taking legal action against domestic abuse for more information.


How to hide your tracks