Sutton Council’s Smart Place project is about finding innovative solutions, including the use of digital technology, to improve the lives of people in the borough.
Based on priorities identified as part of our work on The Sutton Plan, there are three key challenges we want to focus on first:
- Supporting older people to live independently, make informed choices about their future care provision, reduce isolation and increase digital confidence.
- Improving Sutton's environment – including community engagement in local democracy, the town centre and its management, air quality, parking and congestion;
- Supporting independent travel for those in the borough that need support to travel on their own, whether young people or adults, and importantly, reassuring parents or carers of the safety of that individual traveller.
We launched our first 2 Smart Place challenge opportunities earlier this year, these were:
- Raising people's awareness of their own impact on air quality and encouraging them to change their behaviour
- Supporting older people to live independently through the use of technology
We received a great response from the market to these, watch this space for updates!
We are also continuing to work on our other challenges, including around supporting vulnerable people to travel independently, supporting digital confidence, the digital high street and also digital infrastructure across the borough and will post updates on this webpage and on LinkedIn through #Suttonsmartplace.
The challenges have been informed through engagement with a wide range of people, including through a workshop on each theme held back in November which included over 80 residents, public sector partners, the voluntary sector and potential solution providers. The feedback and level of interest was really positive, and has been used along with further engagement to inform the challenges which we’re now putting out to the market. For more information please see the slides from each workshop below.
- Older people Smart Place workshop 7th November
- Environment Smart Place workshop 7th November
- Travel Smart Place workshop 7th November
See Councillor Simon Wales talking about Smart Place here -