Right to buy social housing

Right to buy scheme

The ‘Right to buy’ scheme allows most council tenants to buy their council home at a discount.

You can apply to buy your council home if:

  • it is your only or main home
  • it is self-contained
  • you’re a secure tenant
  • you’ve had a public sector landlord (eg a council, housing association or NHS trust) for 3 years - it doesn’t have to be 3 years in a row

Find out more from GOV.UK on applying to buy your council home and what a secure tenant is.

See if you can apply

Use the online eligibility checker to see if you can apply: online eligibility checker

Existing applications

If you have an existing application and would like to enquire about that, please use our online enquiry form: make an existing right to buy enquiry