Event Safety and Planning
Under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, as the event organiser you are legally responsible for the health, safety and welfare of people attending your event and the employees, volunteers, contractors and subcontractors that work at the event. You therefore must take reasonable steps to ensure your event meets health and safety laws and guidelines.
If you are planning on having higher risk activities bouncy castles/inflatables, fairground rides, etc) or animals (petting zoo, birds of prey, donkey rides, etc) you need to:
- Obtain permission from Sutton Council to undertake the activity(ies).
- Do your research and ensure that the contractor/provider you choose is reputable.
- Request a copy of a site specific risk assessment(s) that sufficiently cover(s) the risks associated with the activity, and has appropriate control measures in place.
- Request a copy of their proof of Public Liability Insurance.
- Ensure the contractor/provider complies with the relevant legislation/safety standards/schemes (e.g. the PIPA Scheme for inflatables,The Amusement Device Inspection Procedures Scheme (ADIPS) for rides, Animal Welfare Act 2006, etc).
- Ensure that the contractor/provider holds the relevant licenses (e.g. registration documents for animals, etc).
- Ensure that you are satisfied with the arrangements and safety measures that your contractors have in place on the day of the event.
We will request copies of the risk assessment(s) for all high risk activities, so it would be helpful if you could submit these alongside your initial event notification form.
Planning your Event
There are a number of resources available to help you plan your event and ensure that it runs safely, which can be found in our event planning downloads folder
Our Event Manual will provide you with a full guide to planning your event, and the references and resources document will direct you to useful external guidance (useful industry organisations, funding, etc).
Please also see the Sutton Event Management Process.
We have a number of templates to help you complete your application:
- Combined Event Notification Form/Risk assessment (with a completed example).
- Event management plan template (with a completed example) - this is to be completed upon request by the Emergency Planning Service (for example if your event has over 1000 attendees, or has a high risk activity).
We also provide a number of fact sheets with information and guidance on:
- Event planning timelines
- Site map
- Managing volunteers
- Keeping your event green
- Traffic, road closures and parking suspensions
- Noise control
- Sutton Councils Sky Lantern Policy
If you require any documents in a different font size or format, please contact us.
If you require first aid cover, St Johns Ambulance Service can provide first aid services at events. You can submit an enquiry online, and they will carry out a risk assessment and quote you for the level of cover that they recommend. You can also contact their London Events Team throug >email@example.com or by calling 0303 003 0101.