Event planning

Events in Parks and Street Parties

Events in Parks 

Parks are attractive locations to host events. They are easy to access and have space to accommodate large numbers of attendees, enabling event organisers to maximise footfall.

Sutton Council charges different fees for holding events in parks based on the nature of the events being held (e.g. funfairs, circuses, car boot sales, etc), the scale of the event and number of days the event is held and land is occupied.

For events in parks event organisers must, prior to the event being held:

  • complete an application form;

  • submit payment for services (e.g. repair of grass areas, waste collection) and the special event returnable deposit;

  • complete a risk assessment; and

  • provide proof of valid public liability insurance.


Applications for new events held in parks and open spaces require approval from ward councillors. 

If you are planning on holding an event in a park within Sutton, please contact the Leisure Link team through the Council's contact centre by calling 0208 770 5000.

Street Parties 

Street parties are a great way to meet your neighbours and build community spirit, so it's important to make sure that it's well planned so that everyone involved has a good time and stays safe.

If you are planning on holding a street party, you will need to submit the following applications:


  • Event Notification Form

  • Risk assessment

  • Event management plan

  • Special Event Combined Application Form - to apply for a road closure, this needs to be submitted at least 12 weeks in advance of the event. Please note, there is a fee for a road closure.

  • Parking suspension- If there is on-street parking along the road you wish to close, you will require a parking suspension. You can do this by submitting an Application for Parking Suspension to parking.enquiries@sutton.gov.uk, or by contacting the Council's contact centre on 020 8770 5000 and requesting to speak to Parking Services regarding a parking suspension.​

There are a number of other elements you may need to consider when planning your street party:


  • Insurance: All events held on Council land and within Council properties will require the organiser to possess valid public liability insurance of at least £1m, unless a higher limit is required.

  • Alcohol: If you plan to sell alcohol at your street party, you will need a Temporary Events Notice (TEN). This is a temporary permission for licensable activities.


  • Noise: Be mindful of the surrounding area, ensuring that any music played is not too loud and doesn't go on too late, as this could lead to noise complaints.

You can find more advice on how to plan a street party on The Street Party Site, or in the 'Your guide to organising a street party' guidance document by Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG).

rating button