How to pay council tax or business rates
Paying by Direct Debit
The easiest way to pay your council tax or business rates is by Direct Debit. Setting up payments by Direct Debit is quick, easy and secure.
If you set up a Direct Debit for Council Tax you could win £100 in our free prize draw (each draw is made quarterly and winners are notified directly).
How to set up a new Direct Debit:
- to do this, please use our online direct debit form
- you can chose to pay on the 1st, 8th, 16th or 23rd of each month (please note, the April payment date is the 7th and not the 1st)
- you have the option to pay your council tax over 10 or 12 months
- when setting up your Direct Debit, enter your bank account name as it appears on your bank card/cheque book. Please do not add any other characters either before or after your bank account name including spaces, returns, commas etc
- once you have set up the Direct Debit, a new bill will be issued to you within 10 working days.
- detail your revised instalment dates and amounts
How to amend or cancel your Direct Debit:
- to amend your direct debit instruction (including changing your payment date), please use our online self-serve tool
- you can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society.
If your account is subject to court proceedings:
If you have summonsed arrears, you cannot use our online Direct Debit service. If you wish to set up a direct debit in these circumstances please call the revenues and benefits customer service team on 020 8770 5000.
Other ways to pay if you cannot pay by direct debit
Credit or debit card
To do this, you can pay online or by using our 24 hour automated telephone payment service on 020 8770 7887.
Make sure you have your council tax or business rates reference number and your bank or building society account details with you. There is an administration fee of 1.6% payable on credit card payments.
To pay by BACS or CHAPS, please use our account details below and allow at least 5 working days for your payment to reach our account.
Bank sort code: 30-80-12
Bank account number: 13740960
Reference: Your council tax or business rates account number (this is shown at the top of your bill).
Please note: if we do not receive your payment by the due date, you may lose the right to pay by instalments and incur costs. Find out more about actions we take if council tax or business rates are not paid at Recovery of unpaid council tax.