Paying for council tax and managing your account online - Paying council tax by direct debit
The easiest way to pay your council tax or business rates is by Direct Debit. Setting up payments by Direct Debit is quick, easy and secure and you could win £100 in our free prize draw (each draw is made quarterly and winners are notified directly).
How to set up a new Direct Debit:
- to do this, please use our online direct debit form
- you can chose to pay on the 1st, 8th, 16th or 23rd of each month (please note, the April payment date is the 7th and not the 1st)
- you have the option to pay your council tax over 10 or 12 months
- when setting up your Direct Debit, enter your bank account name as it appears on your bank card/cheque book. Please do not add any other characters either before or after your bank account name including spaces, returns, commas etc
- once you have set up the Direct Debit, a new bill will be issued to you within 10 working days. This will detail your revised instalment dates and amounts
How to amend or cancel your Direct Debit:
- to amend your direct debit instruction (including changing your payment date), please use our online self-serve tool
- you can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society.
If your account is subject to ongoing court proceedings:
If you have summonsed arrears, you cannot use our online Direct Debit service. If you wish to set up a direct debit in these circumstances please call the revenues and benefits customer service team on 020 8770 5000.
The easiest way to pay for council tax or business rates is by Direct Debit but if you would rather, you can pay by credit card, debit card or by (direct) online banking.