New look website

Take a look at the beta version of our new look website. We’re keen to know what you think.

Take a look

Where to get help with rent or council tax

Help with paying your rent

To get help paying your rent … most people in Sutton don’t need to apply for Housing Benefit, because they can get Universal Credit, which includes money for your rent. 

To make sure you don’t miss out on Universal Credit, enter your postcode here, in the Citizens Advice checker, to find out if you can apply for it. 

  • if the checker says you *are* eligible for Universal Credit, apply through the government website.
  • if the checker says you *are not* eligible for Universal Credit, then come back to this page to apply for Housing Benefit

Help with paying your Council Tax

If you need help paying your Council Tax, then apply for Council Tax Reduction. But some people with savings can’t get help – so don’t apply if you are working age and have savings of over £10,000, or if you are a pensioner with over £16,000. Full details can be found on our Council Tax Reduction Scheme page.

How much will I get?

Some people use our benefits calculator to work out how much money they might get. If you are not sure that you will get benefits, we think you will find it helpful.

Apply for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction