National lockdown: Stay at Home

National lockdown rules apply in England

Latest guidance and information on COVID-19

Council tax discounts

Carers, volunteer carers and care homes

People who are carers, even if on a volunteer basis, or who mainly live in a care home, may be eligible for a council tax discount.


The disregard applies to those people who provide care for another member of the household and must provide care for at least 35 hours a week and they must not be the partner of the person who is being cared for or the child's parent if the person being cared for is under 18.

The person receiving care must be in receipt of one of the four following benefits:

  • attendance allowance at any rate

  • the highest or middle rate of the care component of a disability living allowance or the standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of personal independence payment under section 78(3) of the Welfare Reform Act 2012

  • the highest determinable rate of a disablement pension

  • an increase in a constant attendance allowance under a Military Service Pension Order

Volunteer carers

A person who provides care or support to another individual may be disregarded for council tax, provided they:

  • provide care on behalf of a relevant body (the Crown, local authority, registered charity) or are employed by the person they provide care for and were introduced by a relevant body

  • provide care for at least 24 hours per week and receive less than £36.00 a week in payment and

  • live in premises provided by or on behalf of the relevant body or the employer for the better performance of their duties.

To apply print off the carer disregard questionnaire, fill it in and return it to us at the address provided on the questionnaire or alternatively email it to us with the supporting evidence. Also, you will need your council tax account number, found at the top of your paper bill or displayed in your 'MyAccount' details if you have registered.

Please note, if you are a volunteer carer please include a letter from the relevant body confirming hours of care per week and proof of the earnings.

Care homes

People whose main and permanent place of residence is a residential care home or nursing home and are receiving care or treatment at the home, may be disregarded for council tax. The care provided can be for the elderly, physically disabled or mentally disabled. The staff at such homes may not be disregarded. To apply please email us.

Please note, if you are a new care home please provide full details with your registration number.