New look website

Take a look at the beta version of our new look website. We’re keen to know what you think.

Take a look

Private sector housing and grants

Houses in multiple occupation (HMO) and landlord licences

A HMO is a house or flat which is occupied by more than one household (i.e. people that are unrelated or not living as a couple) with shared kitchen, bathroom or toilet. Find out how to apply for a HMO licence (sometimes known as a mandatory or landlord licence) here. 

Landlord rights and responsibilities

As a landlord, you have certain rights and responsibilities when you rent out your property to private tenants. Find out your rights and responsibilities

Report a problem with your rented property

The council has enforcement powers to ensure landlords maintain properties so they are free from hazards and disrepair. 


Apply for a housing grant

This grant is subject to funding being available and is restricted to residents to enable them to deal with emergency works that present an imminent risk to the health and safety of the occupants.

Empty properties

An empty home is a wasted resource both for the owner who could otherwise make financial gains by letting or selling the property, and for those who are in need of housing.

Damp and mould

How to report damp and mould in a private or council property.