You could be entitled to a discount for your Council Tax if you or a member of your household has a severe or chronic mental illness.

If all the members of the household have a severe or chronic mental illness, you may be exempt from paying Council Tax.

You’ll need to know your Council Tax account number to apply. This can be found at the top of your paper bill or displayed on your MyAccount.

Download application form

You'll need to complete the form and email it to us, or print it out and send it to:

Council Tax Team
Civic Offices
St Nicholas Way

Before you apply

A doctor must have confirmed that you have a permanent condition that severely affects thinking and social functioning. You’ll need to give their name and number and agree that we can speak to them.

You’ll also need to provide:

  • your Council Tax account number 
  • proof that you are entitled to certain benefits

Check you're eligible

You must be getting one of these benefits: 

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component at the middle or higher rate 
  • the standard or enhanced rate of the Daily Living Component (DLA) of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Attendance Allowance at the higher or lower rate
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at one of the rates payable with disablement benefit or War disablement pension
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Support Group) or Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support where the applicable amount includes a disability premium (includes anyone whose partner has a disability premium included in their income-based Job Seekers Allowance)
  • Universal Credit (including an element for limited capability for work or limited capability for work and work-related activity) 
  • The disability element of Working Tax Credit

Search Suggestion