Hire an e-bike
Find out how you can hire Forest electric bikes (e-bikes) to residents and visitors.
E-bikes are a healthy transport option. They provide a convenient alternative to car journeys so help make Sutton’s air cleaner. Cycling also has proven benefits to physical and mental health.
With effect from 23rd May 2023, Forest has introduced changes to the scheme to ensure its sustainability by concentrating on the key urban areas of Sutton. This allows it to continue to provide a sustainable and accessible service to residents, increasing the density of available eBikes to users. Less than ⅕ of the current operational zone across both boroughs will be reduced, mostly in less densely populated areas.
There are currently 120 Forest e-bikes in Kingston and Sutton boroughs (240 in total). The Forest e-bike fleet currently includes blue "River" bikes which were part of a campaign by Forest to raise awareness for wider environmental issues. This campaign has finished and the bikes will reduce in number as they are repainted with Forest livery.
- users get 10 minutes of FREE e-bike hire daily (the free period resets daily at 11:59pm)
- it costs £1.00 to unlock the bike
- it costs £0.29 per minute after the free 10-minute hire period.
- minute bundles are available to reduce the cost of journeys
- unlock by app or by scanning QR code on the bike in the street (you must register first, check the ‘how to use’ section’)
- users must leave the bike in a designated parking area (Green Bay), viewable on the Forest app, to avoid inconveniencing others
- parking in a designated parking area (Green Bay) rewards users with 2 minutes credit for their next ride.
- residents picking up a bike in one borough and leaving it in either Kingston or Sutton boroughs as well as in the neighbouring borough of Merton which has recently invited HumanForest to operate in its borough
- Humanforest e-bikes are a fully sustainable form of transport. The e-bikes, which are zero emission, are fully electric – with long range swappable batteries – and benefit from initiatives to improve battery life and reduce waste
How to hire and use HumanForest e-bikes
Registration and sign-up
- sign up by downloading the app from the App Store or Google Play Store
- create an account using your email
- complete your registration and add your payment method of choice
- you will then receive an account activation email to verify your account
- read and understand the safety checks guide so you're aware of how to ride safely.
Booking and Unlocking e-bikes
Book an ebike via the app or by scanning QR code on each bike in the street
Returning the e-bike / ending your ride
- You must end your journey in one of Forest e-bike ‘green bays which are indicated on the app.
- Check the app to avoid parking in a “No Parking” area”. All “No Parking” areas are marked in Grey. You are unable to end or pause your ride in these areas.
- Forest operates a 3 strike system for parking non-compliance: First offence results in a warning, second offence means a £15 fine and a third offence means the user is banned from using the bike hire service.
- Abandoning an e-bike outside of the boroughs in which Forest operates (such as Kingston, Sutton or Merton) will incur a penalty fine. (NOTE: Geo-fencing technology is used to define the "green bays" and users will see them on the Forest app).
- At the end of your ride, simply open the Forest app and slide the icon 'END YOUR RIDE' to the right once you are in an approved zone.
- You will be asked to take a photo of the eBike and will receive a confirmation message/email that the eBike has been successfully locked. (There is no physical lock on the bikes, simply lock and unlock via the app).