Find support for your mental wellbeing, local support groups, and information about taking a break from caring.

Mental health support 

There's lots of mental health support locally and nationally

MIND is a national mental health charity that provides specialist advice for carers.

If you're worried about your mental health, you should make an appointment to speak to your GP.

Join a local support group 

In Sutton, there are lots of support groups. You can meet other carers in similar situations who’ll know what you’re going through. 

Support groups for carers in Sutton are run by:

Take a break from caring 

Taking a break from caring while the person you care for is looked after by someone else is called respite.

Respite lets you take time away from your caring duties so that you can look after yourself.

How to arrange respite care

Paying for respite care

If you want to take a break from your caring duties, you can arrange respite care for the person you look after.

There are different types of care available, including: 

  • asking friends and family to take over your caring responsibilities
  • employing a paid care worker to care for the person you are looking after in their own home
  • paying for short-term support in a care home or alternative accommodation
  • arranging for the person you look after to attend a day centre

Carers Trust or Carers UK can give you information about paying for respite care.

Support from the Council

We may be able to help pay for respite care for the person you look after.

A carer's assessment will find out what support is available for you. 

It's useful for the person you look after to have a care needs assessment, as it will say which type of respite care is most suitable for them.

Types of support available 

After you've had an assessment, your support plan might include respite care and support, such as:

  • a short stay in a care home or alternative accommodation such as Shared Lives 
  • a day-sitting service or domiciliary care service
  • day support

Help to pay for respite care

You may be able to get a one-off direct payment from the Carers' Flexible Fund. 

You'll need a referral from a social worker and a completed carer's assessment.

You can contact us for more information by calling 020 8770 6080. 

Contact us

To request a carer's assessment, contact the Adult Social Care team.


020 8770 5000


Write to us

Sutton Council
Civic Offices
St Nicholas Way

Find us on Google Maps

Our offices and phone lines are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.