You may be eligible for help from the government with the cost of your childcare.

You can get more information from:

Free childcare for 2 to 4 year olds  

Eligible families can receive up to 15 or 30 hours a week of free childcare. You can find out about free childcare entitlement on our childcare pages.

Tax-Free Childcare Scheme

Working parents can get up to £2,000 government support per child per year towards their childcare costs. Get more information from GOV.UK on Tax-Free Childcare 

Child Tax Credit

Child Tax Credit from GOV.UK is an income-related allowance for parents and carers of children or young people who are still in full-time education.

Universal Credit

You may be able to claim up to 85% of your childcare costs if you're eligible for Universal Credit. Get more information on Universal Credit and childcare on GOV.UK.

Childcare Vouchers

Childcare voucher schemes are no longer open for new entrants, however, if you already use this scheme, you can continue to pay for childcare using your childcare vouchers. 

Free School Meals

Find out if you are eligible for Free School Meals.

Parents in education or training

If you are a full-time student with children you may qualify for extra financial help on top of your standard student finance package.

GOV.UK has more information on student finance.

Learner Support Funds, Childcare Support Funds, Access Support Funds

If you are studying at a college, you should inquire if the college has:

  • an onsite creche
  • a learner support fund, or 
  • childcare/access support fund

Contact your local college for further details:

  • Sutton College: 020 8770 5566
  • Carshalton College:020 8544 4444
  • South Thames College - Merton Campus: 020 8918 7486
  • Nescot College: 020 8394 1731
  • Croydon College: 020 8686 5700

Help for grandparents and other family members

If you are a family member who has given up work to care for a child under 12, you may be entitled to receive Specified Adult Childcare National Insurance credits.

You can apply for Specified Adult Childcare credits if:

  • you are over 16 and under State Pension age 
  • a UK resident
  • the childs parent is entitled to child benefit

You can find out more about Specified Adult Childcare credits on GOV.UK.