Before you can vote in local and national elections, you need to register.
Register to vote online on GOV.UK
You'll need to provide your date of birth and your national insurance number. If you're not sure what your National Insurance number is, you can find a lost National Insurance number online.
If you want to vote in a specific election, you must register at least 12 working days before it.
Who can register
You must be aged 16 or over to register. You have to be 18 before you can vote.
You also have to be one of the following:
- a British citizen or
- an Irish, qualifying Commonwealth or EU citizen living in the UK
Find out more about registering to vote if you:
- do not have a fixed address
- live overseas
- work in the armed forces (or your husband, wife or civil partner is in the armed forces)
- are a Crown Servant or British Council employee working overseas (or your husband, wife or civil partner is one)
- are a student
- need to register anonymously for your safety - for more information or an application form, contact us
Check if you're already registered
Contact us to check if you’re already registered. You’ll need to provide your name and full address.