Our customer charter
Our core values
Our vision is to build a community that all can take part and all can take pride in.
This vision encapsulates our community-based approach and commitment to addressing quality of life issues and inclusiveness.
Our 5 core values reinforce the vision and provide the underlying context to the way in which we do our work.
The values form the acronym PRIDE and show how we are committed to:
- better together: we work collaboratively with colleagues and partners
- recognising that everything we do is for the benefit of our residents
- less judgment, more empathy: we treat people with respect rather than making assumptions about their needs or behaviour
- no decision about me, without me: we believe that everyone has the right to be involved in decisions that affect them
- we think for ourselves and take initiative rather than waiting to be told what to do
- we consider options carefully and make judgements, and then we take ownership of our decisions, knowing the risks
- we always act with integrity and can be trusted to do what we say we are going to do. We hold ourselves and our colleagues to account
- we take responsibility for continuing to learn and trying to be better at what we do
- we care about our impact on each other, our partners and our environment
- we think creatively, look for solutions and solve problems
- we are always looking for new ideas, learning from our own experiences, each other, and the best in the world
- we actively try new things; we understand that mistakes create opportunities to learn and we manage the risks that arise
- we are passionate about everyone having the best opportunities
- we carefully consider the impact of our decisions, and we always seek to act fairly
- we recognise that equality is about understanding that people are different and have different strengths as well as needs, rather than simply treating everyone the same
- we take advantage of new opportunities and manage risk effectively
- we work with the market and with the community to make the best use of public resources
- we are robust in our business relationships to ensure that Sutton residents get good value for money
Our customer care
We aim to give the highest standard of customer care to all members of our community.
When contacting us you can expect:
- staff to acknowledge you, be courteous and give their name and their service area
- your dealings with us will be treated confidentially and we will tell you if the information you provide is to be used for any other purpose
- all of our staff will try to resolve your issue the first time you contact us
- all of our staff will communicate clearly according to your needs
- report faulty street lighting, abandoned cars, graffiti, rubbish, waste issues
- make a payment online including council tax, housing rent, general invoices, parking fines and housing benefit
- renew your parking permit and library books
- find general information on council services such as opening hours and where our offices are and when your next bin collection will be
- find out how to get more involved in our work and your local community
- get help to use our website including easy navigation and help with translations
- make a compliment, comment or complain about a service
When you email a service area or complete an online form, we will reply to you within 2 working days
- we aim to resolve all calls at the first point of contact, but if the enquiry needs specialist advice you will receive a call back within 2 working days
- we use answer phones as little as possible but if you do leave a recorded message we will get back to you by the end of the next working day
- if you don’t get through to the right person straight away, our staff will transfer you or ask the right person to telephone you back
When you visit our face to face services
It is best to make an appointment so we can see you quickly.
We aim to see all visitors within 5 minutes if you do have an appointment, but you might have to wait at least 30 minutes if you do not have an appointment.
When you write by letter or fax
- we will reply to your communication within 7 working days of receiving your letter or fax
- if we cannot answer you fully within 7 working days, we will let you know who is dealing with your query and when you can expect a full reply
- our response will give the name and telephone extension of the person dealing with your query
- where possible, our staff will be out-and-about in our reception area rather than sitting behind a desk, to assist you in resolving your own queries
Giving us feedback
We want to make sure the services we provide give you good value for money. We are always interested in your feedback.
When visiting Civic Reception you can use the feedback boards or use the telephone feedback system when speaking to our Contact Centres.
Sometimes things go wrong, so if we do not meet our published standards, or if you are not happy with the way we treat you, please let us know
- tell us as soon as possible, so we have a chance to put the matter right
- if you want to take it further, the council has a formal complaints procedure and this is set out on our website
- we will provide a safe and confidential environment
- we will call you in advance if we are unable to keep an appointment