Sutton Parks ‘Landscape Artist of the Year’ competition
Sutton Park Friends are once again running our 'Landscape Artist of the Year' competition, supported by funding from Arts Network Sutton. Sutton is spread across the urban fringe of London, up to the lower slopes of the North Downs. Can you capture the stories and scenery that our parks offer? We are looking forward to your artistic interpretations of our green and pleasant parks.
Join us at one of the participating parks and bring out your inner artist. All competitions take place between 11am-2pm. You can enter as many of the competitions as you like.
- Sat 22 July @ Poulter Park (SM5 1EE), meet by the playground at 10.30am to collect an entry form
- Sun 13 Aug @ Manor Park (SM1 4BF), meet by the cafe at 10.30am to collect your entry form
- Sat 26 Aug @ Beddington Park (SM6 7NN), meet by the Pavilion cafe at 10.30 to collect your entry form
The winner of each age category will receive a prize; a £20 art voucher for the older age categories and art equipment for the children's prize. In addition all winning entries from the six competitions will be judged against each other at our art exhibition to be held in November. The three overall winners will also receive £50 art vouchers, sponsored by LexisNexis Risk Solutions.
- It is free to enter, no booking required
- 3 ages categories: 3-10 years / 11-16 years / Adults
- Entrants to provide their own chair, equipment and materials
- Please read the terms conditions listed below before attending (the maximum size artwork is A3 and no oil paint is allowed)
- There will be an Art Exhibition held in November to include a selection of the artwork from the competitions. More information to follow.
Terms and Conditions
- The Sutton Parks ‘Landscape Artist of the Year’ is a competition being run in Sutton parks during 2023 by the London Borough of Sutton (the “Council”). The Council shall select an unspecified number of works from the competition to be exhibited at locations and times to be confirmed by the Council between October 2023 and December 2023.
- By entering the competition, the entrant (the “Artist”) accepts these terms and conditions as set out hereinafter.
- The competition is open to any artist attending one of the Sutton Parks ‘Landscape Artist of the Year’ events and completing the art within the stated 3-hour slot allowed for the competition.
- An entry form must be completed by all artists, to include the artist's name, name of the park, age if under 16 (as well as an adult named contact) and a contact telephone number and email address.
- Children under 12 to be supervised by an accompanying adult.
- The art entry must be an original landscape of the park, created on the day and within the stated hours when the competition is taking place. It should be created in either pencil (including water-soluble, pastel, graphite, charcoal, or coloured pencils) or paint (water-colour or acrylic). The work must not exceed A3 at its greatest dimension. There is no minimum size limit. The artist will use their own paper and art materials at the event.
- The last date for all ‘Landscape Artist of the Year’ events will be 26th August 2023. Selected artworks may be displayed at various venues over the following 12 months after which the artist can collect their artwork. The return of artwork after the exhibition is the responsibility of the artists. The Council reserves the right to dispose of any works after the exhibition that have not been collected by the artist within 3 months of the collection date.
- You may enter one picture for each ‘Landscape Artist of the Year’ event that you attend. The competition is open only to people participating on the event days, with the exception of those responsible for organising and judging. You may participate in as many of the competitions as you would like.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter.
- There are three entry groups: 3-10 years / 11-16 years / Adults
- Your entry must be original and entirely your own work.
- Each park event will have ‘guest judges’ who will select the day’s winners, one from each entry group.
- Once all participating events have taken place, the winning entries will be put forward for overall judging. There will be an additional prize for the overall winner of each group.
- The judges shall be appointed by the Council at its sole discretion. The judges' decision shall be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- A selection of the artworks from all Council ‘Landscape Artist of the Year’ events will be chosen for exhibition. The participating artists will be notified by email within 28 days of the closing date.
- Artists will retain copyright in the work that they submit but by entering the competition, the artist grants the council the rights to reproduce, adapt, modify, create derivative works from, and incorporate their work into other materials and to publish and exhibit their work in print, on their respective websites or in any other media in perpetuity. No fees will be payable to entrants for any of the above uses.
- The Council will credit artists in printed and other reproductions of their work.
- The artists whose artworks are selected for display agree to the use of his/her name in any publicity material, as well as their entry. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent. By providing your email address you give us permission to be contacted about the competition.