Find out how to report neglect or abuse for yourself or another adult.

Warning If you think someone is in immediate danger, call the emergency services on 999.

Report a concern 

You can use this form to:

  • report abuse or neglect
  • raise a concern about an adult at risk of being abused or neglected

You can raise a concern about yourself or someone else.

If you are a professional  

Report a concern online (professional)

If you are a member of the public  

Report a concern online (public)

Contact us by phone

You can phone us on 020 8770 6770.

Our contact centre is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Outside of working hours you can call us on 020 8770 5000.

If your concern is about someone under the age of 18 years old, you can report a concern about a child.

When to make a report 

If you suspect that someone is being mistreated, you should report this to us.

Abuse and neglect can be a single or repeated act. It could come from anyone, such as family, friends, caregivers or other professionals. There are many forms of abuse, some examples are:

  • physical abuse
  • sexual abuse
  • emotional or psychological abuse
  • controlling behaviour
  • financial abuse 
  • neglect or acts of omission
  • discrimination
  • organisational abuse
  • self-neglect

Find out about the different types of abuse and neglect from the NHS.

What you’ll need to tell us

You’ll need to give us information about the person you are worried about. This is so we can make sure they are safe. 

You should tell us:

  • their name 
  • why you're worried about them
  • their address
  • their date of birth
  • any other information that could help us identify them
  • details of the person you think is mistreating them

If you don’t have all of this information, you can still report your concerns to us.

If you want to remain anonymous, you don’t need to give us your name or contact information.

After you’ve reported a concern

A social worker, nurse or someone that the person trusts will talk to the adult you're concerned about. They will decide what should be done to keep them safe and properly cared for.

Depending on the situation other healthcare professionals, a GP or the police might need to be involved. This process could take a few days or a few weeks.

If you provide us with your contact details, we might contact you for more information if we need it. You may not hear anything from us, but this doesn’t mean nothing is being done.

You can read about how we handle safeguarding concerns. 

Tell someone else

There are charities and support organisations that can offer advice and support.

You can find local and national support for domestic abuse.

Action on elder abuse provides information and support about keeping older people safe from abuse. 

You can report a hate crime on