You can submit a building control notice for most extensions or minor alterations to your home. 

Building notices must be submitted 48 hours before work begins.

Extensions and domestic alterations

Most extensions or alterations to your home will need approval, including: 

  • underpinning
  • making a through lounge
  • partly removing a chimney breast
  • converting a garage into a room
  • putting in a new toilet under the stairs
  • adding a kitchen extension or loft conversion
  • replacing windows

Some electrical installation work will also need a building notice. Unless your electrician belongs to a recognised Competent Person Self-Certification Scheme.

How to submit a building control notice

Using one of the online forms is the quickest way for us to process your application. 

You can submit and pay for a building notice online:

Complete the online form on the Plannng portal

Alternatively you can send in your building control application via submitaplan. 

Both websites are building control portals. They enable anyone with access to the internet to submit an application online to local authorities, free of charge.

Other ways to submit your application

You can:

How much it costs

You can find the costs of applications on our building control fees page.

You can pay online or over the phone by calling 020 8770 5000. 

What you’ll need to include

Notices must be submitted with:

  • details of the proposed work 
  • relevant drawings and 
  • structural calculations

Notices must be submitted with the appropriate fees.