Healthy diet, healthy weight
Eating a healthy balanced diet can help to prevent diet-related illness and will give you all of the energy and nutrients you need keep active and maintain a healthy weight.
Why not try some of these ideas to help you eat a healthier diet
- the NHS Easy Meals app for delicious, easy meal ideas.
- the NHS ‘food scanner’ to help you make healthier swaps
- Joining the free Cook Together programme. This gives you healthy family recipes with videos, easy to follow instructions and a shopping list to your inbox every week for 4 weeks.
- The BBC Food website for recipe ideas if you’re cooking on a budget
How can I find out if I’m a healthy weight?
Calculating your Body Mass Index (BMI), using the BMI calculator on the NHS website, will provide a good guide as to whether your weight is within the healthy range. The site also has lots of information to help you understand your BMI result, whether you are underweight, a healthy weight or overweight.
Making a weight loss plan
If you're overweight, losing weight has many health benefits. Making small, simple changes to what and how much you are eating and drinking can really help you lose the pounds.
- You can download the free NHS Weight Loss Plan to help you start healthier eating habits, be more active, and start losing weight!
- Or you can find details of special offers on other weight loss programmes (e.g. Slimming World and Weight Watchers) on the NHS website.