Occupied property Council Tax exemptions

In the case of a property being occupied wholly by students, an exemption from council tax may be granted.

You are classed as a full-time student for council tax if:

  • you are 18 or over and at a prescribed establishment (e.g college, university) which must be in the UK or European Union (you can be engaged in distance learning as long as you meet the other student criteria).

  • you must live in the UK

  • your course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year

  • your course involves at least 21 hours of study a week

  • you are 18 or 19 and on a non-advanced course like A-levels that lasts at least three months and involves at least 12 hours of study a week

You must provide either:

  • a letter from the school, confirming that the you still study there and giving the completion date of your studies

  • an original council tax student certificate, available from the educational establishment that you attend, which should be marked with the official college stamp.

NB - When a property is wholly occupied by more than one student a certificate/school letter will be required for each student.

Additional information to consider:

  • people aged 18 or 19 years old may continue to be exempt if they have stopped attending a course of further education between 1st May and 31st October in any year. The exemption will remain in effect until 1st November or the young adult's 20th birthday, whichever comes first.

  • if you are a full-time student with a partner or dependant who is not a British citizen and is not allowed to work or claim benefits you will not have to pay Council Tax. You will have to send us a copy of your partner's passport with the other student details that we need for you.

If you think that your property or your current situation falls under this exemption please apply for a council tax exemption using our online form below. Please provide your full details, Council Tax account number and attach the required documentation.