Occupied property Council Tax exemptions

A property is exempt if any person who would be liable to pay the Council Tax, meets any of the following conditions:

  • a person on whom privileges and immunities are conferred by the Diplomatic Privileges Act 1964, the Commonwealth Secretariat Act 1966, the Consular Relations Act 1968 or by the Commonwealth Countries and Republic of Ireland (Immunities and Privileges) Order 1985

  • a class of person mentioned in relation to any organisation specified in an Order in Council made under the International Organisations Act 1968

  • Is the head of any office established as described in the Hong Kong Economic Trade Act 1966

The person must not be a British citizen or British subject or a permanent resident of the United Kingdom.

If you think that your property or your current situation falls under this exemption please apply for a council tax exemption using our online form below. Please tell us which embassy the individual has been posted to and include any documentary evidence, together with your council tax account number found at the top of your bill and full address.

Apply for council tax exemption