Blue Badge services privacy notice
This privacy notice is to be read in conjunction with the full privacy notice.
This privacy notice sets out how the Blue Badge service at Sutton Council will use and process your information. The Blue Badge service is designed to enable disabled people who have a condition which impacts their mobility to access goods and services, by allowing them to park close to their destination. Under the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act (1970), we have a statutory obligation to maintain a register showing the holders of badge issued by the authority. We are responsible for determining and implementing administrative, assessment and enforcement procedures in accordance with the governing legislation, Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) Regulations 2000, as amended.
What type of information is collected about you?
- contact details
- place of birth
- National Insurance number
- contact details for members of your family and support network if you wish them to advocate for you
- copies of documents showing your proof of identity (for example, passport, birth certificate)
- copies of documents showing your address (for example, council tax bill, benefit letter, driving licence, pay slips)
- your photograph
- financial information to process your application, if you pay by credit/debit card
We also collect the following special category data:
- medical information you provide in support of your claim
- if applicable, copies of documents showing your eligibility to a benefit which automatically qualifies you for a Blue Badge
We may also obtain your personal information in applications forwarded from GOV.UK where an application is submitted via that web site.
We use your personal information to:
- create a secure and comprehensive record of your paper application by uploading the information onto the national Blue Badge Improvement Service database
- assess which criteria your application will be assessed under, either in receipt of an automatically qualifying benefit or being assessed as a discretionary application
- use the information for an Independent Mobility Assessment (IMA) if being assessed as a discretionary application process your application to come to an appropriate decision based on the information provided throughout the application process
- facilitate and process any credit/debit card payment
- investigate claims of Blue Badge misuse
- to respond to Blue Badge enquiries from others on your behalf
- work with the Department for Transport, and their service providers where necessary, to improve online application systems
The sharing of information facilitates a joined-up approach with partner agencies, to provide you with the best possible customer experience.
How long your personal data will be kept
Records will be retained for no longer than one year from the last involvement with the Blue Badge service before being securely destroyed. If you are issued with a Blue Badge as part of the application process, the date of your last involvement will be the expiry date of the most recent badge issued.
The legal basis for processing your information
- processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller as the lawful basis on which we collect and use your personal data
- processing is necessary for the performance of a contract (for payments made by credit/ debit card)
- processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject
For collecting and using your special category data we rely upon:
- processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest(statutory and government purposes)
- processing is necessary for the provision of health or social care or treatment or the management of health or social care systems and services.
As we have a statutory basis for collecting your personal data, we do not need to ask for your permission to share it, however we will only ever share your data on a basis of need, in line with legislation and will work transparently with you at all times.
If you do not provide your data, we will not be able to process your application.
Who your information may be shared with:
- Cabinet Office for data matching under the National Fraud Initiative
- Internal teams to carry out an Independent Mobility Assessment (IMA), if required
- commissioned providers of local authority services (call centre and payment services)
- other local authorities who administer or enforce the Blue Badge service if you move to their area or use the Blue Badge in their area
- others in relation to enquiries raised on behalf of applicants (such as local councillors, family members, voluntary organisations
- partner agencies for the processing of applications
- police for parking enforcement and the prevention and detection of
This data sharing enables us to process and safeguard the Blue Badge scheme for yourself and other applicants. We will share personal information with law enforcement or other authorities if required to do so by applicable law