Loading and unloading your vehicle is when you’re moving heavy or bulky goods to and from a vehicle. You’re also allowed reasonable time to check paperwork if necessary.
You can load and unload a vehicle:
- on single and double yellow lines for up to 40 minutes, unless there is a ban on loading
- in resident and shared-use parking bays and Permit Parking Areas for up to 20 minutes
You must move the vehicle as soon as you've finished.
If you need more time, you can contact us for a parking dispensation.
Rules for loading and unloading
Make sure that:
- your vehicle isn't causing an obstruction whilst you're loading or unloading
- you're loading and unloading continuously
You should also:
- never stop where your vehicle will cause an obstruction to traffic or pedestrians
- never stop on white zig-zags at pedestrian crossings
- never stop on yellow zig-zags outside schools during the operational hours
- only park on the pavement if there is no other way the delivery or collection can be made
- someone must be left with the vehicle at all times
- never load or unload from a suspended parking bay (unless a suspension has been put in place for this specific purpose)
If you don't keep to these rules, the vehicle could be considered ‘parked’ and may be liable to the issue of a Penalty Charge Notice.